Schoolhouse Rock Math

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Beginning

I guess that this first post should be directed toward why I named the blog what I did. For starters - not all of the posts will be about golf, even if Caddyshack is the name. The truth is that Caddyshack is my favorite movie, mostly because it's hilarious and about golf, something I have a huge passion for. When you can take four actors at the top of their game (Rodney Dangerfield, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, and Ted Knight), and throw in the fact they are all great comedians (save for Knight), and the director, Harold Ramis, is the same guy who collaborated on the script for Animal House, the movie is going to be great. There hadn't been a definitive golf movie made up until the point in which Caddyshack came out in 1980, and, as the tagline says, it does a great job of pitting the "snobs versus the slobs."






The great thing about this movie is that if you don't even like golf all that much, you're still going to be laughing all the time, and if you are golf fan, you'll laugh at a lot of the little details in the movie along with all of the obvious comedy. Classic lines like "Get in the hole!", "How 'bout a Fresca?" and "So I got that going for me, which is nice" all stem from this movie, and if you walk on any golf course in America, you will inevitably encounter someone quoting this movie. I know this all sounds like rambling and glowing, which it is, but it's a movie that is pure comedy, and one that never fails to make me laugh, which is what I want to do with this blog as well. Putting all of that together, that's how I arrived at the namesake of this here blog - a name that will inspire me to keep the interest of people like Caddyshack did for me.

1 comment:

  1. Good post Shaun. I am an avid golfer also. If I don't get 50 to 60 rounds in a summer, I feel like it was a wasted summer. Caddyshack is a great movie - one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete